Tulela is a new exclusive-use safari lodge in the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve, which opened in May 2021, and offers luxury accommodation and a bespoke safari itinerary for small groups or families. It is designed to bring a new level of personalisation to a safari experience, welcoming guests to a place they can call their own, and allowing for a totally customised stay.
ITS TSONGA NAME, TULELA, DIRECTLY TRANSLATES TO “PLACE OF PEACE”, WHICH APTLY DESCRIBES THE SPIRIT OF THIS SPECIAL PLACE.
Adding to the value of the lodge’s location in the Klaserie Reserve – a Big Five Greater Kruger destination – Tulela is positioned on the bend of a seasonal river, beneath mature, indigenous trees and has a large private waterhole in full view of the bedrooms, pool and viewing deck. The atmosphere of this place is what makes it so peaceful. It’s the quiet presence of kudu, nyala and giraffe visiting the water; the ever-present birdsong in the many leafy trees; and the sense of freedom you get from having an entirely tailor-made schedule that is designed to suit you.
The lodge, in a nutshell
- Five bedrooms, sleeping a total of 10 guests
- Two bedrooms are linked via an inter-leading door, making it ideal for a family with young kids
- Three bedrooms look onto the riverbed and two bedrooms look onto the waterhole
- All rooms have en suite bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers and indoor bath tubs
- All rooms have a viewing deck
- Exclusive/sole-use booking only
- Self-catered or fully catered booking basis
- Star Deck sleep-out platform (included in the rate)
- Children of all ages welcome
- Fully staffed by a small, hand-picked team who will take care of guests’ every need
- Child-minding and a selection of kids activities are freely available
- Laundry service freely available
- Fully air-conditioned and connected with Wifi
- Rim-flow swimming pool on the edge of the riverbed and overlooking the waterhole
- Main guest area has fully equipped kitchen, indoor and outdoor dining area, coffee bar, easily accessible refreshments fridge, lounge with fireplace, firepit-style boma, extensive deck with pool and sun loungers and seating area.
Your own safari experience
The emphasis at Tulela is on the personalisation of the entire experience. There is no pre-determined schedule to stick to but there is a variety of experiences on offer for you to choose from. Guests can tailor their activities, meal times, and sleep time as they please. Activities range from classic game drives, to bush walks, bush breakfasts, and sleep-outs, and the team can arrange for a number of field experts to cater for guests with specific requests. Tulela experiences include the following:
- Star Deck sleep-out (included)
- Bush breakfast (included)
- Walking safari (included)
- Game drives, any time of day (included)
- Kids safari activities (included)
- Guided stargazing and astronomy presentation (additional)
- Guided sound safari (additional)
- Conservation activities, e.g. rhino dehorning, elephant collaring, ground-hornbill research, wild dog tracking, K9-unit (additional)
- Specialised art and cooking safaris (additional)
- Helicopter flights (additional)
Focusing on true relaxation, taking all the pressure of entertaining or committing to a schedule away, Tulela aims to indulge families with freedom. Freedom to do or not to do, but to be looked after and taken care of by an exceptional team and to leave feeling content and rejuvenated. It offers an opportunity to make incredible memories in a very special part of the South African wilderness landscape.